How Computer Science Majors Sleep In the intricate realm of computer science, where innovation intertwines with versatility, a captivating vocation unfolds—one that empowers efficient problem-solving and unlocks unprecedented possibilities. Amidst this domain, our journey embarked with a fervent curiosity for the world of medicine. The narrative took root in October 2019 in Montpellier, France, as an integral component of our BSc degree in Computer Sciences at #Epitech.
Pioneering Exploration: Navigating the Intersection of Technology and Medicine
Our quest unfurled between October and December 2019, as we sought to unearth a nexus where the potency of computer science could synergize with medical needs. We ventured into the realm of sleep disorders, constructing a network of patients diagnosed with Narcolepsy and Cataplexy. Conversations with these individuals illuminated the contours of their challenges and aspirations, revealing a mission that transcended mere treatment.
Collaborative Brainstorming: Cultivating Novel Insights
Fig.1 showcases our brainstorming endeavors, where patients and myriad ideas converged harmoniously between October and December 2019. This phase was a crucible of creativity, crystallizing our path toward meaningful contributions to the realm of sleep medicine.
Read More : How To Jailbreak Iphone Without Computer
Expert Insights: A Guiding Light in the Night
The journey led us to a pivotal encounter on October 30, 2019, with a distinguished sleep expert in Montpellier, France. This rendezvous shattered misconceptions, revealing that inundating patients with additional devices was not the true solution. A subsequent encounter, adorned with wisdom from the sleep expert, unraveled the potential of Actigraphy, an emerging method with the promise to transform sleep medicine for the next 5 to 10 years.
Actigraphy, a methodology rapidly gaining prominence, emerged as a beacon of possibility. While Polysomnography stood as a well-established technique, Actigraphy’s nascent nature piqued our curiosity. With studies spanning less than a decade, Actigraphy held the promise to revolutionize sleep disorder diagnostics and management.
A Voyage into Sleep Labs: Bridging Insights and Reality
December 17, 2019, marked a crucial juncture as our group convened with an expert at the sleep lab in CHU Montpellier. Engaging with diagnosed patients and those seeking answers, this interaction propelled us into the heart of Sleep Medicine. It was during this meeting that a roadmap crystallized, etching a vision that would shape our endeavors.
Our mission crystallized into two essential pillars:
- Creating an Analytical Software: Our aim was to develop software capable of comprehensively analyzing a patient’s nightly patterns. This endeavor sought to rival the capabilities of ActiLife, a leader in Actigraphy, providing experts with nuanced insights.
- Harnessing AI for Prediction: The prospect of building an AI model to predict diseases and differentiate data, such as narcolepsy and hypersomnia, emerged as an exciting avenue. Additionally, a pattern-matching solution to categorize patient data was envisioned.
Progress Amidst a Global Canvas
As months unfolded and sprints propelled our progress, our first Windows Software prototype materialized. This powerful tool could:
- Extract and interpret data from Actigraph Watches.
- Analyze recorded sleep data to profile patients.
- Gauge sleep efficiency and count awakenings.
- Offer a range of variables subject to evolution.
The prototype emerged from meticulous exploration of existing methodologies and the stability of algorithms. Furthermore, our path forward encompassed a deep dive into the intricacies of machine learning, poised to underpin the next phase of our project.
Read More : What Was The First Computer Virus In Philippines
A Global Network of Innovation
As we ventured forth, our team dispersed across the globe for our Master’s 4th Year Abroad. Each student sought a foreign university, thereby enriching our project with diverse perspectives. Syncing our efforts from different corners of the world, as depicted in Fig. 3, we continued to shape the evolution of our endeavor.
Embracing the Dawn of a New Stage
Our current stage revolves around the meticulous analysis of patient nights and the precision of our outputs. Tomorrow ushers in fresh goals:
- Sleep Stage Classification: Leveraging K-nearest neighbor or Naive Bayes Theorem, our focus will be on classifying sleep stages. This endeavor could facilitate comparative studies between our Awake method and established learning models.
- Pattern Matching for Insight: We aim to deploy pattern matching to draw connections between sets of patient data. By discerning correlations, we can provide experts with enhanced diagnostic insights.
Embarking on a Journey of Innovation
Throughout the Epitech Innovative Project Experiences of Montpellier, our venture has earned accolades, twice being ranked as joint winners in the category of “the first innovative and technologically advanced project of the year.” This recognition fuels our commitment to innovation, underscoring the convergence of computer science and sleep medicine on an inspiring journey of discovery.